Tuesday 25 November 2014

Label Concept #5 (botanical route)

So far in the development of my concepts, I have thought about initial ideas, and progressed upon them with each new stage.

After thinking about what idea may be best to experiment more with, I now believe it is time to create some further concepts and designs that work with the use of typography, colour, and feature a level of professionalism found in more final designs.

At the end of this section I want to have a handful of design concepts, based on my chosen idea, of using a botanical theme for my bottle label.

http://thegraphicsfairy.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/-bCGk4-cJ-9g/UAHISU7Yc-I/AAAAAAAASyM/UIzaYE7Jt2k/s1600/Botanical7-GraphicsFairysm.jpg < image reference at this link.
I first thought about basing a design on a botanical theme in label concept #2, and have adapted my ideas.
I really do love illustrating in the field of natural forms, and if you have seen my personal work, you will be able to notice my passion for this.

I have sketched some rough images based around the theme of botanical formations, notably several focusing on the shape, and visual appearance of the caraway plant, which ties into the Wylam brief.





An extract from the Wylam brief, focusing on the caraway seed.
The caraway plant in my opinion isn't the most beautiful/attractive plant to come across, and I was thinking about backing up a potential design with other additional plants.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/fremontoktoberfest/files/2012/09/beer-ingredients.jpg < image reference at this link.
I remembered the meet up with Chris from Wylam brewery, which took place last Friday at the Tyne bar.
At the meet up, he brought in several bags containing the raw ingredients of beer, as well as a bag of caraway seed.

He brought in bags of hops, barley, and wheat, and although these plants don't look too stunning either in my opinion, I feel like they might all work together, maybe in a classical style, similar to the botanical illustrators that I have researching.

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/hops--32-l.jpg < image reference at this link.
I really love the classical style found in the image above.

Hops:
http://www.newplanetbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/hops1.jpg > image reference at this link.
My personal section sketch of a hop plant.

Barley:
http://fall11ethnobotany.providence.wikispaces.net/file/view/BarleyCommission-stock4.JPG/279948640/BarleyCommission-stock4.JPG < image reference at this link.
My personal section sketch of a piece of barley.

I also like the caraway seed border idea that I thought about earlier on, which I feel will help to split things up, and help provide segregation.
It could work in a similar style to the image below.

http://teacherclipartborders.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Seeds-and-Distribution-Portrait-Blank.jpg < image reference at this link.
I will be experimenting with this route a lot over the next few blogs, and will be using this book to help me with my insight into botanical illustration.








Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment