Thursday 1 January 2015

Module Overview/Conclusion

This module has been one of the most challenging modules that I have encountered so far in my studies.

The Module has revolved around the topic of commercial illustration, and involved me selecting a brief to base my studies around.
I decided to choose the Wylam brewery brief, as it was the one that was the most appealing to me.

I believe that I made the right choice, as I have had a lot of fun, in a professional manner of course, developing and nourishing my ideas to come up with several designs for submission.

An sizeable extract of the brief can be found below.

Extract from the Wylam brief.
This brief is important to me not only in an academic setting, but also in a professional sense.
This is my first taste of a true commercial brief, and with it comes key things to learn, such as time management, professionalism, contracting, communication, competition and commitment, among many others.

For the brief I had to produce a lot of research into the product, the ethos of the product, the market, and other connecting topics, in order to get a good understanding of what needed to be done for the criteria.
I think that I have researched very efficiently, and extensively, and I have produced a good amount of blogs that all tie in to my development in some way.

For the module, I needed to produce the following, as part of my criteria to pass.

  1. Bottle Label for 'Chara' brew.
  2. 'Font beer clip'.
  3. 'Cask pump clip'.
  4. Professional Powerpoint on module.

I initially set upon developing the label for the beer, and it took a large amount of careful consideration, thinking, as well as development.

Label development.
My extensive development allowed for me in the end, to come up with 3 different design variants to submit to the company, and these designs can be seen below, in order.

1st variant of the wraparound label.

2nd variant of the wraparound label.

3rd variant of the wraparound label.

Overall I am very pleased with my final designs, as I feel that they not only look appealing to the eyes, but they also reflect the product's ethos well, with their links to the product, as well as the Roman background.

After developing the bottle labels for the product, I moved onto developing the beer clips, that would work alongside the label design.

Like the bottle, this also took a multitude of different steps to assemble.

Clip development.
This development led to the final clips being produced.
There are several different variants for each clip. This is to give Wylam a larger choice, which gives me a better chance of having my designs successfully used on the official brew.

I will showcase my final 'Beer Clips' immediately below, starting with the 'Font Clips'.

'Font Clip' Final #1
'Font Clip' Final #2

'Cask Pump Clip' Final #1
'Cask Pump Clip' Final #2
I am very happy with all of my clip finals, as I feel that they not only match the criteria of the product, but they also work well with the bottle label which is something that I wanted with all of the designs.

With the clips, and the label completed, I moved onto producing my powerpoint presentation, which is to be showcased to both Ben and Amy, discussing my thoughts on the module, explaining in detail what I did, how I did it, etc.



With the powerpoint completed, all my criteria had been met, meaning that I accomplished what I was set to do by Wylam.

Now all I need to do now is add the required bleeds to the photoshop designs, and digitally submit them ready for hand in, which is on the 15/1/15.










Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment